My 10k run
I decided to change my lifestyle since the turn of the year and love the idea of becoming healthy and raising money for a great cause. I decided to challenge myself by taking part in a 10k run, to raise money for Square Mile India. Square Mile India is close to my heart as I am of Gujarati origin and have visited the ashram on a number of occasions. I have seen first-hand the great work that the Square Mile India team has done, and I hope the money I raise will help them to continue to make a difference to the lives of these vibrant and amazing children.
Square mile india
De Montfort University (DMU) Square Mile India officially launched in February 2016, and has since seen 25 trips head to India with students, staff and friends of the University. In total, 18 trips have been to Ahmedabad, in Gujarat, to work with Manav Sadhna, based at the historic Gandhi Ashram. Participants of the trips have engaged with hundreds of children and adults from the local slum communities, volunteering on various projects.
Since the launch, over £35,000 has been raised by students, staff and friends of the University. Currently any funds raised support the 120 children that live in the Manav Sadhna Hostel, providing them with food, shelter, medical supplies, sports equipment, school uniforms, extra education and much more.How else have we helped so far?
- Students from audiology tested the hearing of more than 350 people in four days - resulting in 150 hearing aids being fitted, and the discovery of many infections which will help to reduce the likelihood of further hearing loss occurring.
- The Centre for English Language (CELL) trained 22 English teachers in new techniques to make their teaching more effective -
- Dance students, and DMU graduates led dance lessons with over 500 people, including rag-picking women from one of the largest slums in Ahmedabad.
Take a look at one of our #dmuglobal trips to india
Help us succeed!
- Please donate to this great cause which is close to my heart!
- You don't need to give money to help us succeed! Please share this project with anyone you think would support us – on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, by email, telephone, in a chat over the fence or on your blog.
- In fact, share it with everyone you know as we think it's a great cause, and the more people who know about it, the more likely we are to make make a difference.
- And we know we said you don't need to give money to help us, but we'd love it if you did! Please sponsor us and help us to help the children in the ashram.